What words come to mind when you hear the word ‘teenager’? Or the word ‘adolescence’?
Do you love working with teens or feel a little apprehensive?
I’ve recently been facilitating some team trainings in museums about how to engage with teenagers and so I’ve been thinking a lot about the best ways to work with teens. It’s also a subject I get asked about a lot.
Here are some tips and ideas for better ways to engage with teenagers in the museum on your guided tours and programmes.
- Why our thoughts shape our attitude towards teens
- Seeing teenage behaviour through a developmental lens
- Positive reasons for working with teens
- Creating an inclusive, warm and friendly atmosphere
- The importance of shared ownership
- The role of open-ended questions and careful listening
- Reading the group and avoiding false clues
- Why less is more
- And why teens like to discuss themes of global significance
Join the Slow Looking Club Community on Facebook
Download the NEW resource – how to look at art (slowly)
Curated newsletter by Claire Bown
Episode 44 – The 4 elements of a great introduction